PE and Sports Funding
The government has provided additional funding to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding is provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport.
Our school has to spend our additional funding on improving the provision of PE and sport, however we have the freedom to choose how we do this.
Southfields have used and will continue to use this money carefully to enhance the provision of PE across school. We have purchased the Schools Sports Partnership Gold Package from Stanground Academy, which has allowed us to:
- hire specialist PE teachers and qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- pay for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- participate in Football and Netball leagues
- run intra and inter school sport competitions, and to increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- buy quality assured professional development modules and materials for PE and sport
- provide places for pupils on after school sports clubs
- provide swimming lessons at Stanground Academy
We have also used the money to allow pupils to swim in our own pool as well as deep water swimming at the local secondary school see details below.
In the wider context we also used the money to provide a variety of after school Coaching to supplement our already broad curriculum.
In addition to this we also purchased deep pool tuition at Stanground Academy for year 4-year 6 children which includes training for our own staff from specialists as well as use of the pool and a fully qualified swimming teacher and life guard.
Circumstances this year are obviously different to previous years, we are still hoping that by the Spring we will be able to return to Stanground Academy to make use of the deep water swimming pool. In the mean time we are using the resources and staff we have in school to continue to provide an effective Physical Education curriculum.
For further information on our spending and actions in 2020-21 please take time to look at the action plan and funding impact reports which are located at the bottom of the page.