Welcome to Middle School.
Middle school is the transition from Key Stage One to Key Stage Two. It is a great place for children to feel like valued members of the school. Middle school is a happy, well-ordered and stimulating environment where the children come in very settled and thoroughly enjoy being in the upper Key Stage. Becoming an independent learner is the key objective of Middle School therefore children are given the tools necessary to help them organize and manage their workload with the scaffolding of teacher and peer models.
Mindfulness techniques are infused into daily classroom routines and instruction. These methods help to alleviate and manage the stress that students can experience in the classroom setting. It also helps them adopt new learning strategies. Mrs Bailey is currently doing a course on Mindfulness and will hopefully become our in school practitioner.
Children have daily short tasks to support the practise of skills they have learnt in school, these include: spellings, reading, diaries and times tables, these are short practise and summary activities. Children need to learn these for their tests each week. Thank you for your continued support in helping the children complete these set tasks. We understand how busy it can get in the evenings and we really appreciate parents being a partner in their child’s learning.
Within Middle school the staff are as follows:
- Mrs Farooq-Ayub- Year 3 teacher, PSHCE/SMSC Co-ordinator and Phase Leader.
- Mrs Bailey - Year 3 teacher and The Arts and D&T Co-ordinator.
- Miss Wren - Year 3 teacher.
- Miss Smith - Year 4 teacher and Year Leader.
- Miss Dooley - Year 4 teacher.
- Miss Mescall - Year 4 teacher.
- Miss Collins - Year 3/4 additional teacher and resources Co-ordinator.
- Mrs Bush- Higher Learning Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Mastin- Trainee Teacher.
- Mrs Metcalfe, Mrs Corden, Mrs Reid, Mrs Tkaczuc, Ms Alla Kovalova Year three and four Teaching Assistants.
My name is Mrs Farooq-Ayub and I have been teaching for five years and began my teaching career here at Southfields as a newly qualified teacher. I have worked in middle school for most of my career and have been a co-ordinator for PSHCE and SMSC for four years and the phase leader for the last two years. I have an LLB Law (Hons) degree and a PGCE .
As the phase leader, I welcome you and your child to the phase. We have had much parental support over the past years as a phase and would love for this to continue. We will be running various parent workshops across the year. We really hope to see you all there.